Thursday, June 11, 2009

It's Showtime Sleeping in a Wigwam

Wednesday, June 10 - We arrived at the Route 66 classic, the Wigwam Motel in Holbrook, AZ, shortly after dark. Because I thought we might get there a little late, I called earlier in the evening to let her know that we were on our way. Since the motel office closes at 9pm, she said that if we arrived after that, we would be in Teepee #6, and she'll leave the key under the mat. How great is that? Fortunately, we got there a little after 8, so we properly checked in.


After we checked in at the Wigwam, we stopped in a diner called Joe and Aggie's Cafe, which we'd read about in the Road Food guidebook. We sat down in a booth, I looked up, and across the room by the cash register was a "Showtime Free Weekend" sign on the wall. I about fell out of the booth. I asked the owner about it, and he said that many years ago Showtime shot some stuff here to promote one of our free preview weekends!



Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

  1. Ken... we'll have to share notes on the Wigwams. I once stayed at the ones in Kentucky! A once in a lifetime kind of thing that was really great but I don't know if I'd do it again! hah

    ReplyDelete
  2. What did it look like inside the Wigwam? I think I remember Oprah deserted hers when she and Gail went cross-country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. from chris: soooo jealous of this trip -- 7 national parks? crazy. and you totally blew apart my personal record for "fastest tour of a national park due to road trip time constraints" -- 1.5 hours in glacier national park, MT. therefore i've just decided you two will be taking care of madeline for all of 2010, so jenny & i can go on a few trips we've been working on. i'm sure she'll be well-behaved, what with all the bananas we've been feeding her...

    ReplyDelete